A Legendary Chair with the Sustainable Approach
An inventive adaptation of the legendary Diffrient Smart chair and the first ergonomic task chair made with recycled fishing nets.
In 2016, Humanscale sourced materials in partnership with Bureo, an emerging venture developing innovative solutions to prevent plastic pollution in our oceans. Bureo collects discarded fishing nets, then washes them and feeds them through a shredder, then into a 'pelletizer', which melts the shred and is cut into recycled nylon pellets. These ‘NetPlus’ pellets are now used in the manufacturing of products like skateboards, sunglasses and now —the ergonomic Smart Ocean task chair.
A Net Positive Product and Sustainable Design
Smart Ocean is the perfect example of sustainable manufacturing. Incorporating almost 2 pounds of the recycled fishing net pellets and is Living Product certified.
Custom Fit Technology
Utilizing the exact same infinite design and function as the Diffrient Smart chair, the Smart Ocean chair offers Form-Sensing Mesh Technology that instantly adjusts to each individual user, without the need for training, instructions or manual adjustments.
Features of the Smart Ocean Chair
- Sustainable manufacturing process using recycled fishing nets
- Utilizes a weight-sensing recline mechanism, which eliminates any need for manual adjustments
- The non-stretch, tri-panel mesh back provides superior lumbar support and complete comfort
- Sculpted seat cushions designed to exceptionally support your body
- Optional deluxe armrests offer full range of height and width adjustment
- Lightweight modern design
- Made in USA
We all need to try to make a difference
The ongoing crisis of plastic pollution in our oceans has a huge impact on our health and on the health of our natural environment.
Here’s why Humanscale wants to make a difference
- 8 million tons of plastic waste enter the ocean each year.
- 640,000 tons of fishing nets enter the ocean each year.
- The amount of plastic pollution in the ocean will surpass the amount of fish by 2050 if nothing changes.
- Fishing nets are identified as the most harmful form of ocean plastic pollution.
- Recycling and repurposing plastic keeps it out of the ocean and helps to mitigate many environmental issues.
Humanscale is a founding partner of the Next Wave Initiative. Led by Lonely Whale, this consortium includes companies such as Dell and GM and is focused on developing a distribution web that would support the reuse and repurposing of plastic before it ever reaches the ocean.
The Design Story
Niels Diffrient was inspired by the three-dimensional approach tailors take when designing suits, and wanted to create a minimal mesh chair with a back that automatically fits the user. As a result, when sitting in a Humanscale mesh task chair, it fits you like a perfectly tailored suit.
"A smart chair adapts to your weight and shape automatically, as if the chair were made for you personally."
– Niels Diffrient, Industrial Designer, Ergonomics Pioneer
|Chair height||40" - 44.8" H|
|Adjustable armrest height||6" - 9.6" H|
|Seat height||17.63" - 22.8" H|
|Seat depth||16.25" - 18.75" D|
|Weight capacity||300 lbs|
FREE UPLIFT Single Monitor Arm
Mount a monitor weighing between 4.5 lbs - 17.5 lbs, and adjust the height, depth or lateral position with easy fingertip adjustment.
Choose from a variety of arm options available on your Diffrient Smart Chair:
- No armrests
- Fixed height armrests with a durable Duron foam
- Fixed height armrests with a durable Duron foam covered with upholstery to match your seat cushion
- Height-adjustable armrests with a Duron arm pad
- Height-adjustable armrests with a Duron arm pad upholstered to match your seat cushion
- 4D adjustable armrests with a Duron arm pad
- 4D adjustable armrests with a Duron arm pad with matching upholstery
Our recommendation: Most people will benefit from having adjustable arms
The frame of the Humanscale Diffrient Smart Ocean Chair is available in three colors:
- Black frame with black trim (standard) - Incorporates Ocean Netting
- Black Frame with Brushed Aluminum Trim - Incorporates Ocean Netting
The backrest of the Humanscale Diffrient Smart Ocean Chair is available in the following mesh styles. Please note that certain meshes may cause a longer lead time than others. To check lead time on a certain configuration, please give us a call at 1-800-531-3746 before placing your order.
Dash is one of the newest meshes available in the Humanscale line. It is characterized by its strength and durability.
The luminous quality of each individual monofilament strand creates a translucent effect, while also providing strength and durability.
This brilliant weave of monofilament strands and silver-coated yarns offers resiliency combined with a low abrasion factor.
Pinstripe offers a simple stripe pattern in a variety of enlivening colors.
Catena offers a unique pattern in a variety of modern colors.
Fourtis - Grade 1
Inspired by the Latin word fortis, meaning strong, this fabric is the ultimate ratio of durability and flexibility thanks to a unique weave of two-blended colors, and offering a four-way stretch.
Corde 4 - Grade 1
Constructed from cotton, Corde 4 includes a four-way stretch and a small, modular weave. The result is a dimensionally ribbed surface on the face of the fabric that remains soft to the touch.
Lotus - Grade 1
This four-way stretch textile is water repellant and easy to clean, making it an ideal textile for healthcare and hospitality environments. Its polyurethane finish with nylon backing boasts a soft texture while offering exceptional durability. It exceeds all standards for contract upholstery and healthcare tests.
Sensuede - Grade 3
Sensuede was developed to be the best and most luxurious engineered suede available. The faux suede's soft touch comes from the use of breathable and wrinkle resistant recycled microfibers that are finer than a human hair but are extra-strong, resulting in a very resilient fabric. This material also was selected because of its environmentally sensitive content and manufacturing process.
Box Stitching Color
Choose from a variety of different color box stitchings for your chair. This option is only available for leather upholstery.
The Humanscale Diffrient Smart Chair is available in your choice of four cylinder heights. Seat heights are measured from the floor to the compressed front center of the seat cushion:
|Standard||16'' - 21'' H|
|Low||15.25'' - 19.5'' H|
|Tall||17'' - 22.25'' H|
|Return to height||17.7'' - 19.9'' H|
The Humanscale Diffrient Smart Chair is available with your choice of standard casters or soft casters for hard floors.
|Standard Hard Casters||2 1/2" double-wheeled for carpeted floors|
|Soft Casters||2 1/2" soft double-wheeled for hard floors|
The Humanscale Diffrient Smart Chair can be ordered with either standard plastic components or CAL 133 compliant components.
This product comes standard with a Limited 15-year warranty.
- Return windows close 30 days after you receive your item.
- You are responsible for obtaining a Return Merchandise Authorization, the cost of shipping, and potential restocking fees, if the item has been opened.
- To start a return, or to view the full returns policy, click here.