Sit back and relax in ergonomic splendor in the Humanscale Freedom Chair without Headrest, minus the levers and knobs that are synonymous with most office chairs.
The Humanscale Freedom Chair makes huge strides to support your body ideally, giving you superior range of movement while you work at the same time.
Designed by the ergonomic innovator Niels Diffrient, the seat allows you to tilt, lean, and recline your way to better posture. Your productivity will soar as you stop wasting time fidgeting with your seat - just rely on its integrated intuitive counterbalance mechanism to find that sitting sweet spot.
The Freedom Chair is customizable to your wants, from alterable arms to upholstery options, giving you and your office a personalized seating solution of the ages.
- Features a dynamic reclining mechanism that delivers support throughout a full range of motion
- Dynamic movement provides up to 1" of additional lumbar support
- Precisely sculpted cushions match your body's contours and reduce pressure points
- Seat cushion available with your choice of cushy foam padding or a gel pad
- Armrests move in tandem to eliminate uneven arm positioning
- Adjusts to fit more than 95% of the population
- Made in USA
The Design Story
Niels Diffrient had a strong desire to create a truly ergonomic chair which could adjust to the user automatically. He created the Freedom series of auto-adjusting chairs, which allow the sitter to change postures with no effort. The traditional recline mechanism was replaced with a weight-sensitive one. The Freedom chair revolutionizes the way that people sit.
"My idea was that, instead of sitting down and reaching for a lot of controls, that you would sit on the chair, and it would automatically balance your weight against the force required to recline."
Niels Diffrient, Designer
|Seat Dimensions||16" - 21" H x 21" W x 16.25" - 18.5" D|
|Seat height - Standard||16" - 21" H|
|Seat height - Tall||17" - 22.25" H|
|Backrest Dimensions||18" - 21" H (from seat cushion to top of back) x 21" W|
|Armrest height||5" - 11"|
|Weight Capacity||300 lbs|
FREE UPLIFT Single Monitor Arm
Mount a monitor weighing between 4.5 lbs - 17.5 lbs, and adjust the height, depth or lateral position with easy fingertip adjustment.
Humanscale Freedom Chair Arms
The Freedom arms are available in two different styles: standard and advanced. The standard arms quickly move up and down; the advanced arms are width as well as height adjustable.
- Revolutionary armrests move in tandem to eliminate the dangers of uneven arm positioning
- Natural lift-and-release action allows for immediate repositioning without the need for buttons or locks
- The armrests provide a 6" range of vertical motion to accommodate all users and tasks, and they can be positioned below thigh-level for close table or desk work
- The armrests are attached to the backrest, not the seat like most chairs, so they stay in the same relation to your body when you recline
Please Note: Many users prefer the added adjustability of the advanced armrests.
- Offer all the same features of the standard armrests
- Arms slide left and right for width adjustment
Once you pick the type of arms to best suit your needs, choose your arm padding, Duron or Technogel. Add a surface material to complement your Freedom color options.
- Duron arms have a foam core and a durable, synthetic leather cover
- Technogel arms contain a softer and extremely comfortable gel layer below the synthetic leather cover
- Either padding choice can be upholstered in fabric or leather to match your chair
The Freedom Chair is available with two frame colors: graphite frames are standard colors, and the polished aluminum frame is an upgrade available with graphite shells on the cushions and arms.
The Freedom Chair comes standard with a highly durable composite base with a graphite finish, or upgrade to a powder-coated or polished aluminum base finish.
Fourtis - Grade 1
Inspired by the Latin word fortis, meaning strong, this fabric is the ultimate ratio of durability and flexibility thanks to a unique weave of two-blended colors, and offering a four-way stretch.
Corde 4 - Grade 1
Constructed from cotton, Corde 4 includes a four-way stretch and a small, modular weave. The result is a dimensionally ribbed surface on the face of the fabric that remains soft to the touch.
Lotus - Grade 1
This four-way stretch textile is water repellant and easy to clean, making it an ideal textile for healthcare and hospitality environments. Its polyurethane finish with nylon backing boasts a soft texture while offering exceptional durability. It exceeds all standards for contract upholstery and healthcare tests.
Sensuede - Grade 3
Sensuede was developed to be the best and most luxurious engineered suede available. The faux suede's soft touch comes from the use of breathable and wrinkle resistant recycled microfibers that are finer than a human hair but are extra-strong, resulting in a very resilient fabric. This material also was selected because of its environmentally sensitive content and manufacturing process.
Ticino Leather - Grade 1
Ticino is a semi-aniline dyed leather available in a variety of rich colors inspired by nature. It is a top, corrected grain leather to create a more natural aesthetic and ensure the leather remains as unique as the hide itself.
Corvara Leather - Grade 3
Corvara is a semi-aniline dyed leather that offers a smooth, silky feel and ultimate durability. It is a top, full grain leather that is embossed lightly for a consistent, uniform grain structure.
Box Stitching Color
Choose from a variety of different color box stitchings for your chair. This option is only available for leather upholstery.
Humanscale offers a standard padded foam or gel seat cushion on the Freedom chair. Both seats are very comfortable, but the gel seat upgrade offers better long-term support and relief of pressure points for users that sit in their chair 8 to 10 hours a day.
- Standard foam seat is contoured to fit your body and reduce pressure points, and is both comfortable and supportive
- Technogel seat cushion is a non-degradable, non-compressible Technogel layer on top of a foam core that provides maximum pressure distribution and offers unmatched, long-term comfort
- Technogel seat is available only with the Lotus and Vellum fabrics and is not available with leather or Sensuede
Please Note: Technogel has a firmer "sit" than the standard foam that softens up somewhat after a few minutes and will offer better back support if you are seated for long periods of time. Users who are up and down more may prefer the foam.
Raise or lower the height of the Freedom's seat by selecting a cylinder size. When sitting in a chair, a person's feet should rest comfortably on the floor or a foot rest. Ninety-five percent of our customers select the standard height for their chair; however, a petite user with a lower desk or a tall user with a higher desk can opt for a custom configuration without worrying about bumping their knees on a work surface.
- Standard height cylinder fits 90% of the population
- Tall cylinder combines with a footring to make the Freedom Chair a Humanscale Freedom Drafting Chair
- Return to height cylinder returns to the highest position when the user exits the chair
Please Note: If you aren't sure which height is best for you, give us a call and we'll help you choose.
The Freedom chair offers four caster choices. Most of our customers select the standard casters for carpet floors or soft casters for hard floors. Glides are perfect for a stationary chair, and the locking casters let the chair move around when no one is sitting down.
|Standard Hard Casters||2 1/2'' double-wheeled for carpeted floors|
|Soft Casters||2 1/2'' soft double-wheeled for hard floors|
|Glides||Non-rolling glides for fixed location use|
|Locking Casters||Lock into position when you sit on the chair|
The Humandscale Diffrient Smart Chair can be ordered with either standard plastic components or CAL 133 compliant components.
3 Reviews Hide Reviews Show Reviews
I've only had this chair a few days but I already love it. Very well built, plenty of simple adjustments and very stylish addition to my home office. I like how the back rest moves with you and supports your lower back in all positions. The wavy fabric I chose is quite comfortable and it feels nice to the hand. The back of the chair has a clever handle on it to aid in pulling the chair out from a desk or moving it around a room rather than having to grab the arm rest or back rest. I chose the gel seat and gel arm rest options as well as the adjustable arm rest option and am very happy with those choices. The only thing I miss over my old Staples chair is the tilting seat so you can tilt back and put your feet up on the desk which is how I often like to browse the web. This seat does not tilt as most cheapy office chairs do, however, it is still comfortable once you find the right position.
It was easy to order and fast delivery. Great chair! Very comfortable and easy to adjust.
I've had my chair about a week. It was really easy to adjust to my body, and hasn't taken any time to get used to at all. I love that it is was customizable and that the sales person at The Human Solution helped me select exactly what I needed even though I thought I had it pretty well nailed down.
The only feature I wish it had was independently adjustable arms. I would like to be able to keep the right one up for support for mousing while sometimes the left might need to be higher, lower, or even not even there.
I researched a long time to find everything I needed, and this had it all. I has lived up to it so far.
This product comes standard with a Limited 15-year warranty.
- You are responsible for obtaining a Return Merchandise Authorization, the cost of shipping, and potential restocking fees, if the item has been opened.
- To start a return, or to view the full returns policy, click here.