Ergonomic Office Tips & Information | Blog
5 Reasons to Use a Keyboard Tray
Keyboard trays may not be the first thing you think about when it comes to ergonomic accessories to help you work safely, but let me tell you, they are the dark horse of workplace wellness. A keyboard tray allows you to make specific adjustments to your typing position, preventing and relieving pain and repetitive stress injuries. Check out more details below:
1. Adjustability: When typing on a fixed-height desk surface, you do not get to configure at what angle you position your arms as you work. With a keyboard tray, you can lower, slide, angle, and pivot your typing surface so that you don't have to bend forward or raise or stretch your arms to reach your keyboard tray and mouse.
2. Proper positioning: A keyboard tray allows you to position your mouse and keyboard in the "neutral reach zone." If you are seated, this is usually right above your lap. You can pull the keyboard tray to your lap, keeping your arms bent comfortably at a 90° angle.
3. Protect yourself from pain and injury: Placing your keyboard and mouse at an uncomfortable height or angle can cause all kinds of pain and soreness issues that can stay with you for the rest of your life. Keyboard trays help stave off carpel tunnel and other pressure point injuries in your arms and hands. In addition to the adjustments mentioned above, you can also negatively tilt the tray to keep your wrists straight.
4. They're great when standing: You can achieve the perfect positioning when standing as well. This is especially important if you don't have a monitor arm; you can raise your desk high enough to comfortably see the monitors, then lower the keyboard tray so that your arms are properly positioned.
5. Work more efficiently: You will be able to work faster and more efficiently if you aren't reaching awkwardly, or uncomfortable while you work. If you do work that requires a lot of precision mousing, you can select a keyboard tray like the UPLIFT Switch, which allows you to position your mouse exactly where you need it.
You can find these and other useful ergonomic accessories at HumanSolution.com.
Featured Blog Posts
- Space Saving with the Small Half-Circle Desk Drawer by UPLIFT Desk
- Bouncing for Joy: The Rubberwood Solid Wood Sit-Stand Desk by UPLIFT
- Come See the J3: Introducing the J3 Ergonomic Chair from UPLIFT Desk
- UPLIFT Desk Gets a Nod in New York Times Interview!
- OutStanding New Desk Converters by UPLIFT Desk
Interested in ergonomics?