The oft-neglected task light is not as exciting as a new desk or chair, but is equally important to your ergonomic set-up and overall workplace health. Without appropriate lighting, you're at an increased risk for problems such as dry eyes, blurry vision, headaches, neck and back pain, and muscle fatigue, collectively known as the dreaded Computer Vision Syndrome.
While Computer Vision Syndrome does not cause any permanent damage, it is still important to keep yourself comfortable at work. There are several ways to improve your work set-up to prevent the discomfort that can come from working at a computer all day:
- If you wear glasses, be sure the optical center of the lens is directly in front of your eyes; this can be a problem if your glasses tend to slip down your nose. You may need to have your glasses fitted properly to prevent this.
- If you wear contact lenses, make a point to blink regularly. We tend to blink less frequently when looking at a computer screen, resulting in dry, itchy eyes.
- Keep your computer screen in the correct ergonomic position: about an arm's length away, with the top of the screen at eye level.
- Follow the 20-20-20 rule. Every 20 minutes, look at something 20 feet away, for at least 20 seconds.
- Place reference documents as close to the computer screen as possible to prevent having to constantly refocus your eyes. A document holder can help with this.
- Ensure your lighting is conducive to good health. To see if you need changes in lighting, try the Visor Test. Cup your hands over your eyes like a visor to block the lights while you look at the monitor. If you notice an immediate improvement, you need to adjust your lighting.
In choosing a task light, you'll want something that is glare-free, produces a concentrated light, has various lighting levels and warmth, and allows for arm and angle adjustment. Historically, these ergonomic lighting solutions have been quite expensive, often costing $300 or more. In keeping with our mission of providing products at reasonable prices to make them accessible to as many people as possible, we're pleased to introduce the UPLIFT LED Task Light, designed by our in-house ergonomist.
In addition to the features listed above, our task light is energy-efficient, with 34 long-lasting LED bulbs providing a 35,000-hour lifespan. The base rotates 160° and includes a touch dimmer with five levels of brightness and three temperature modes. It folds in half for sleek and easy storage when not in use. It's a great accessory for your UPLIFT Desk, adding to your overall comfort, health, and productivity.
Build your perfect workstation at TheHumanSolution.com.