Ergonomic Office Tips & Information | Blog
Boost Your Productivity With a Standing Desk or a Treadmill Desk
How will standing and walking affect your energy and productivity work? A Miami University study found that you can increase your physical activity without sacrificing the quality of your work. You can stay productive and even boost your energy level and productivity if you stand or walk while you work. Needless to say, this is huge news for proponents of active workplaces. Word is getting around that standing and walking while you work is becoming the new normal -- we have seen a tremendous increase in interest for our UpLift Treadmill Desks, and we expect their popularity to keep growing.
The study worked with 31 participants to determine whether sitting, standing, or walking affected their reading and speaking patterns. The only major difference the research scientists discovered in active workers was an increased metabolic rate (more calories burned).
I've seen similar results while walking on my own desk treadmill here in the office. I use an adjustable height desk paired with a desk treadmill. Here's what I've noticed in the two weeks I've been walking:
- Typically I walk around 2-2.5 MPH. I've found this is the best speed for me to manage multiple tasks at once. Interestingly, the study conducted had participants walk at an easy 1 MPH pace, and they still found significant improvements in metabolic rate!
- I am far more focused on the task at hand. Most people find that a little healthy escapism is necessary throughout the day, and walking provides that background activity in a healthy way.
- I am more alert (I'd rather not fall off the treadmill in front of my colleagues) and energetic when I walk throughout the day. As a result, my productivity has improved as well.
- Taking phone calls is second-nature while walking. How many of us naturally pace while talking on the phone?
- I am far more aware of my posture than in any other static position, and I am able to make a conscious effort to straighten and support my neck and back while walking. I no longer have stiffness in my shoulders or neck at the end of the day.
And some sneaky side-benefits:
- For those of you who like to exercise outside of work, the additional blood flow to my legs has made a dramatic difference in recovery time. My legs feel loose and limber- even after a tough workout.
- If you are prone to snacking while working as I am, walking instead will take care of your need for a little distraction!
Ergonomic office products such as the Steelcase Sit-to-Walkstation or the UPLIFT Treadmill Desk will allow you to maintain a healthy, low-impact lifestyle while keeping your work day productive. The Lifespan Treadmill included in the UpLift Treadmill Desk setup also comes with a console to keep track of miles walked, calories burned, and steps taken to keep you motivated. Don't spend the majority of your day slumped over and seated -- take control of your health! Gives us a call at 1-800-531-3746 or click here to chat with us online, we'd love to share our experiences and help you get moving throughout the day.
Featured Blog Posts
Interested in ergonomics?