Ergonomic Office Tips & Information | Blog
Keep Active While You Sit with a Humanscale Foot Machine
Who should use a footrest? Everyone! Anyone who sits for prolonged periods of time can benefit from using a footrest; they’re not just for people who have difficulty reaching the floor with their feet -- although, for shorter users who can’t seem to find a chair with a cylinder that goes low enough, a footrest is practically a must.
But we’re all subject to negative side effects due to inactive sitting. Effects like blood clots related to deep vein thrombosis, increased pressure on the lower back, and swelling and varicose veins due to the pooling of blood in the lower limbs. Of course, our first advice to avoid these issues is to get up and stand, or even walk, while you work. We recommend a standing desk or a treadmill desk to combat a lot of the health problems associated with inactivity while you work, but at some point, you are probably going to sit back down, so a footrest can help keep the blood circulating while you sit.
Some of our favorite and most popular footrests are from Humanscale, and they offer four different models. These “foot machines,” as they are called, have some great features and options to choose from, that will suit just about everyone.
The most basic model, the Humanscale FM100 Foot Machine footrest, features an angle-adjustment, and it’s a great option if you just want to raise your feet and take the pressure off the back of your legs and lower back as you sit. The sturdy design has non-skid pads for your feet and a steel frame.
- If you want a foot machine that keeps you moving even when you’re sitting still, you have a couple of options. The Humanscale FM500 Foot Machine has curved legs like a rocking chair that encourage motion. It’s also easily adjustable, since it will automatically adjust angles as you move – you don’t even have to think about it! It’s also quite stylish, with either a cherry or black wood finish, brushed brushed aluminum feet, and a sleek, modern design.
Humanscale’s FM300 series of foot machines probably offer the most variety and opportunity for customization, because they have ball-bearing rollers as well as a three inch height adjustment. You also have the option of ordering the FM300, with non-skid pads on the surface to keep your feet stable, or the FM300B, which features several rows of massage balls in the middle, so you can kick off your shoes and really get comfortable. The FM300B also has the non-skid pads if you just want to keep your feet in one place. Both of the FM300 foot machines are available in a lighter, natural wood finish, or a dark cherry wood finish.
All of Humanscale’s foot machines are also covered by a lifetime manufacturer’s warranty, which should be some indication of their high quality. These footrests are sturdy and well-made, they offer you additional support and decreased health risks from remaining seated, and they are a great looking addition to your office’s décor. What could be better?
If you would like to know more about these Humanscale foot machines, and how they can help you, give us a call at 800-531-3746 or live chat with one of our experts!
Featured Blog Posts
- Space Saving with the Small Half-Circle Desk Drawer by UPLIFT Desk
- Bouncing for Joy: The Rubberwood Solid Wood Sit-Stand Desk by UPLIFT
- Come See the J3: Introducing the J3 Ergonomic Chair from UPLIFT Desk
- UPLIFT Desk Gets a Nod in New York Times Interview!
- OutStanding New Desk Converters by UPLIFT Desk
Interested in ergonomics?