Whether you use a height-adjustable desk or an older sitting-only desk, your ergonomic set-up isn't complete without a keyboard tray. We've been working for years to spread the word about keyboard trays and explain why you need one, so here's a round-up of our best blog posts that answer all your questions about the noble keyboard tray.
What is a keyboard tray? And why do I need one?
Great question! A keyboard tray is a separate surface that sits in front of your desk, giving you independent control over the positioning of your keyboard and mouse. Why should you get one? Here's five big reasons:
Your keyboard and mouse should be near or on your lap to reduce strain on your shoulders and arms. For more tips on positioning, check out these blog posts and videos:
- Take The Weight Of The World Off Your Shoulders With These Ergonomic Tips
- How Does An Ergonomic Keyboard Tray Work?
Wow! I can't imagine life without a keyboard tray now! But which one should I get?
Another great question! Someone who is very smart and handsome must be coming up with these!
Anyway, we sell a wide range of keyboard trays with a broad array of options. Somewhere, out there, is the keyboard tray for you! As far as price goes, its tough to beat the UPLIFT brand. There are two UPLIFT keyboard tray options, the Large and the Switch. As the blog post explains, each one has its own unique benefits:
- Choosing The Right Keyboard Tray: UPLIFT Large Keyboard Tray vs UPLIFT Switch Keyboard Tray
- Introducing the UpLift Large Keyboard Tray
- Humanscale is one of the most trusted names on the market. You can get the 500 or 900, depending on your needs!
Another best-selling brand is Humanscale. If you want to customize your own keyboard tray, this is the option for you! With a ton of features and models, it can be confusing, but here are some of our best-sellers:
- Popular Humanscale Keyboard Trays: The 500 Tray vs the 900 Tray
- Choosing A Keyboard Tray System Is As Easy as 1, 2, 3!
- Humanscale Keyboard Trays: Deciphering the Choices
A lot of people have natural, ergonomic, or "wavy" keyboards. Don't worry, there's a tray out there for you!
Most keyboard trays have 360 degree rotation, but some people need pivoting at both the arm and the platform. If you want this sort of dual pivot action, we can hook you up:
OK, I've made my decision. How do I set up my keyboard tray?
Unlike other products, keyboard trays require a little more preparation and planning. This is because the tray attaches to the underside of your desktop through a long track. If you don't have the required amount of clearance, which varies based on the tray, it might not be able to attach to your desk. Some desks, like the UPLIFT 900, offer flexible configurations to accommodate a keyboard tray:
If your desk doesn't have the required clearance, not to worry! Both UPLIFT and Humanscale keyboard trays have the option to be installed with shorter tracks. There are advantages and disadvantages to this route, as this blog post explains:
Other people have more idiosyncratic workstations that require special solutions. Do you have a front edge or lip that goes lower than the rest of the desk? Is there no room for a track at all? Don't worry, we've got a solution. After all, its right there in our name:
- Keyboard Tray Solutions for a Desk That’s Giving You Lip
- Lacking Keyboard Tray Mounting Space? This Might Be The Solution For You
- Sit-Stand Workstation Solutions: Is an Above-Desk Keyboard Tray Right for You?
Do you still have questions? Our experts are standing by and ready to help you put together the perfect ergonomic keyboard tray for you! Give us a call at 1-800-531-3746 or visit us in live chat today!